The 3rd Annual Mineshaft Grinder Is A Go – Join Us on Saturday, August 13th!
Come celebrate the mining history of Hope, Alaska by racing up Palmer Creek Road in the Mineshaft Grinder. You may choose between biking or running in the Gold, Silver, or Quartz Grinders. All proceeds support the Hope School and KMTA’s Community Grant Program.
The Mineshaft Grinder takes place in Hope, AK. All races start at the Hope School and follow parts or all of Palmer Creek Road.
- The Gold Grinder is an uphill-only bike race for riders to grind up 1900’ over 11 miles to the end of Palmer Creek Road.
- The Silver Grinder is a 1/2 Marathon to the Nearhouse Mine Trail on Palmer Creek Road and back to Hope School.
- The Quartz Grinder is an 8.5-mile round-trip run to the top of the switchbacks on Palmer Creek Road and back to the Hope School.
The race turnarounds for the running races will be at Aid Station 1 for the Quartz Grinder (8.5 Mile Run) and at Aid Station 2 for the Silver Grinder (Half-Marathon).
RACE START TIMES
- The Gold Grinder starts at 10 AM
- The Silver Grinder starts at 9:30 AM
- The Quartz Grinder starts at 10:30 AM
NOTE: These start times may be adjusted slightly but no race will start before 9:30 AM.
REGISTRATION/BIB PICK UP
Bib Pick-Up will take place outside the Hope School on race day. You may check in for your race anytime after 8:30 AM.
Race Day Registration is allowed. Please bring cash or check as we cannot guarantee credit card payment.
EARLY BIRD PRICING (Ends July 31st):
- Gold Grinder 11.5 Mile Bike Race – $50
- Silver Grinder Half Marathon Run – $60
- Quartz Grinder 8.5 Mile Run – $50
PRICE AFTER AUGUST 1ST:
- Gold Grinder 11.5 Mile Bike Race – $60
- Silver Grinder Half Marathon Run – $70
- Quartz Grinder 8.5 Mile Run – $60
No refunds will be given. Bib transfers are allowed.
The Hope School bathrooms will be available for use and there are outhouses located at Aid Station 3 – the Coeur d’Alene Campground.
The Mineshaft Grinder is open to all participants over the age of 16. If you have a youth that would also like to participate, please contact us.
Parking will be available at the Hope School. There is limited parking so please carpool if able. If you are a bicyclist staying somewhere in the Hope area please bike to the start of the race if you are able.
The race is being held in bear country so carrying bear spray is recommended!
There will be three aid stations available along Palmer Creek Road including:
- Aid Station 1 – Top of switchbacks
- Aid Station 2 – ½ Marathon Turn Around (Nearhouse Mine)
- Aid Station 3 – End of Palmer Creek Road
We ask that all participants bring their own reusable means of carrying water. There will be water jugs available at all the aid stations.
The Hope Sunrise EMT will be present and available for any emergency situation that could arise.
The afterparty will take place at the Creekbend Cafe in Hope starting at 1 PM. Awards and raffle prizes will be announced starting at 1:30 PM. You must be present to win raffle prizes. All participants receive one raffle ticket for registering for the race. There is an opportunity to earn more raffle tickets by completing the Bucket Carry.
Participants will have the opportunity to “work their claim” in honor of John Hirshey’s “Lucky Strike” mine, the most consistent lode gold (mined gold) producer of the Kenai Peninsula. For a chance to earn extra raffle tickets, participants will carry a bucket full of rocks at the end of their races.
GET A T-SHIRT!
MIneshaft Grinder T-shirts are available here.
This race is made possible by volunteers! If you are able please click here to sign up for volunteer opportunities. The first ten volunteers will receive a $20 gift certificate to the Trek Bicycle Store of Anchorage.