There’s no place like the Kenai Mountains –Turnagain Arm National Heritage Area to support classroom learning with hands-on experiences. The Pathfinders program is designed to connect students deeply to the world around them and engage them in inquiry-based learning throughout the school year. Revisiting Portage Valley as in transforms from fall to winter to spring creates the ideal learning conditions for a wide array of subjects such as change, cycles, energy, and interdependence. Pathfinders can be customized to include particular topics of interest or state standards and our education staff will work with each participating class to create an unforgettable experience that provides students with repeated opportunities to be active, work together to explore their environment, improve their science and outdoor skills, and enjoy a day spent outside.
- Support environmental literacy and lifelong learning using an experiential, inquiry-based teaching model.
- Expose students to the rich histories, environments and recreation opportunities in the KMTA NHA.
- Provide opportunities to practice their science, social, and outdoor skills.
- Model and cultivate stewardship behaviors and an appreciation for the natural world.
Pathfinders is available to 5th through 8th grade classes in Southcentral Alaska. Interested inthe program but outside of the grade range? Contact us about creating a custom Pathfinders program! KMTA is committed to working with students, teachers, schools, and parents to ensure cost is never a barrier to program participation. Our fee structure is as follows:
• Non-title I schools: $100 per student for the whole year (pre-visit + 3 field trips + post-visit)
• Title I schools: Free
We realize that Title I status is not always the most accurate indication of need. If you are a non-Title I school interested in subsidized program fees please provide a brief statement of need on your program application. If you are a Title I school with the resources to fund your students’ participation, please consider waiving your subsidized rate so that we can support additional student participation in the program.